The path to membership begins with getting to know the church through participation in worship services and other activities, to decide whether this is the right church community for you. After attending for a while, we encourage you to take the next action into membership. When you join this congregation as a member, you are proclaiming the importance of community in your own unique religious journey. We all need connection in order to survive and grow. This is true in times of celebration, and it is true in times of hardship or loss. This community thrives on mutuality. Here you will be cared for and you will be called upon to care for others. Here, the members and friends of this congregation will grow and be changed by the addition of your voice and your presence.
Path to Membership:
- Attend several services and programs to ensure this community is the right fit for you.
- Attend an optional Newcomer’s Meeting. Our Newcomers Meeting is an optional one-hour meeting intended to introduce newcomers to the basics of Unitarian Universalism and our church community. It is also a way for newcomers to meet and connect with one another.
- Attend the required Pathways to Membership Meeting. Our Pathways to Membership is a required one-hour meeting, intended for prospective members to learn the responsibilities of membership. Through interactions with fellow class members, facilitators, the minister, and Board members, each participant has the opportunity to reflect on their spiritual journey and consider ways in which belonging to Unitarian Universalist Church of Fort Myers might enhance it.
- Complete a Financial Commitment Card.
- Attend a New Member Welcome Ceremony to covenant with the congregations and sign the membership book.
Membership requires commitment to the principles and purposes of this church. Members should be caring, supportive participants in the congregation, and shall, in accordance with their individual abilities, give both time and financial contributions to the church and its programs.
~ UUCFM Bylaws
Membership with Engagement means:
- Attending Sunday services regularly
- Participating in one church program each year that deepens your faith
- Being involved in a mission project beyond our church walls each year
- Reaching the five percent charitable giving level as soon as possible
- Aspiring to a leadership role
- Telling others about UUCFM
For further information about membership, contact Member Services.